Wednesday, October 15, 2008

oops!

I usually take pretty much the same route every morning coming in to work. But, you know how sometimes you are led to do something for some reason you don't know? Well, I believe that's just what happened this morning.

Instead of taking my usual left on to DG road, something told me to proceed down LPG road to M road, then on to the highway. So, I did. Shortly after crossing DG road, I see what appears to be a horse approaching me FAST. My window kept fogging up so I was fighting with wipers and the defroster when I realized there was NO ONE ON THE HORSE!!

I knew that I had to alert someone that there was a horse running wild because this time of morning, there are school buses everywhere and all kinds of cars speeding to work. Actually, there shouldn't be a horse running wild ANY time of the day, but that's not the issue. Someone had to be told.

I had slowed WAY down for fear it would run out in front of me, then I see two huge bucket trucks approaching. I started frantically blinking my lights till I saw them slowing down. They had seen the animal. I grabbed my phone out of my purse, flipped it open and hit the "S" to get to the Sheriff's department number I had stored.

Now, I must digress a moment. This particular phone used to be my lil sis'. My phone died one weekend when I was up in Attala county with her and she had a spare since my BIL had just bought her an iphone. I put my sims card in it and I had a new phone. The thing is, it has all of her numbers stored in the phone memory. Adding my sims card meant that there are a whole bunch of duplicate numbers and entries. Oh well... I'll get around to deleting them some day.

So...I have hit the "S" and see the entry for "Sheriff" and hit the button. Keep in mind that I'm now driving very slowly down a country road, trying to look in my rear view mirror to make sure the galloping horse hasn't caused a school bus to crash.

RING RING RING

Lady: Sheriff's department
Me: I'm on LPG road between DG and M and there is a horse galloping down the road.
Lady: What county are you in?
Me: uh Hinds
Lady: WHAT county are you in?
Me: HINDS!
Lady: *chuckle* Honey, you've called the Attala County jail.
Me: I'm sorry!

I hung up and said some bad words. Then, instead of trying to once again locate the "S" and figure out MY Sheriff entry, I just called 911. I got a very nice dispatcher who immediately recognized the road names I was giving out and said me calling was absolutely the right thing to do.

Needless to say, it's time to clean some numbers out of my phone.

3 comments:

Mrs.H said...

One question: WHY did your sister have the number of the Attala County Jail in her phone?

dhcoop said...

The Attala County Sheriff's Department is located there. She actually said "Sheriff's Department when she answered the phone.

lil sis had a problem with a neighbor shooting firecrackers late one night and had called the Sheriff's department to report it, then stored the number in her phone.

I have the Hinds Sheriff's number for things like this that I feel I need to report but I don't feel like 911 is appropriate.

Jen said...

good for you COopster! That poor horse was probably scared to death! Mine have gotten out a couple of times because deer will take the fence down or a tree has fallen & we didn't know it.

Only problem is, when an animal like a horse or cow gets loose like that, the owner can go to jail for it being loose. That scares the shit out of me every time they get out (which has been like 3 times in 3 years. Usually I get them back up before they are GONE like that! heh)