Tuesday, October 14, 2008

49 and Grounded

This weekend was really tough for a dear friend of mine and I had agreed to go see the movie Beverly Hills Chihuahua on Monday night. Unfortunately, I made that commitment without thinking about the fact that my normal Monday night routine involves watching Dancing with the Stars...with my Mom. I usually call about every other commercial break and we talk about the dance, the costumes, and the scores. Well...at some point today I realized I was going to miss DWTS because of the movie commitment, and fully intended to call Mom and give her a heads up. Then, I forgot...

I have expressed my feelings for the MRBA (Marshall Ramsey Bloggerholics Anonymous) on more than one occasion, and now have a new reason. The MRBA kept my Mom from having a heart attack. Well, maybe not literally, but here's what happened...

I told the blog early in the day that me and friend were going to see the BHC movie that evening. I NEVER go to the movies so that, in itself, was unusual. Then, right before logging off for the day, I posted "Well, folks, it's off to the movies for me. TTFN!"

DWTS begins, and after a couple of dances, I haven't called Mom. She gets concerned. After four dances, she's really worried and she tries to call me. No answer. Of course my phone is on silent because I'm at the MOVIES. Then she calls lil sis in a panic because I haven't called, and am not answering my phone (because it's on SILENT). Lil sis tries to call and of course doesn't get me because MY PHONE IS ON SILENT BECAUSE I'M AT THE MOVIE.

So then, lil sis has enough sense to think "she would have told the blog where she was heading. Let me check the blog!" Eureka! So, she logs on and sees my last entry. Knowing that I NEVER go to the movies, she knew I wouldn't be flippant about a comment like that and assumed it was real. But, she still posted a request for confirmation (at this point she had not gone back early enough in the day to see my affirmative comment about which movie I was actually going to).

Thank goodness Bellasera responded and confirmed I was, in fact, going to the movies. So...lil sis calls Mom and tells her where I am which comforts her somewhat.

ANYWAY...I came out of the movie and had missed calls from both lil sis and Mom & Dad and knew I had some splainin to do! I called lil sis first and was given the Readers Digest version of You are In So Much Trouble, then I called Mom & Dad. I explained what had happened and after Mom finished letting me know that I had scared her half to death, she happily proceeded to give me a recap of the whole show (including scores since she keeps notes). All was well.

I called lil sis back and she laughingly said "So, are you grounded?"

I'm 49 years old. My life includes watching DWTS on Monday night on the phone with my parents. People I've never met know my whereabouts when my own family does not. Funny? Hell yes!

Once again I'm thankful for the MRBA because we keep up with each other to the extent that when my parents couldn't find me someone knew where I was.

Oh, and for the record, the movie was great! Not like anything I had ever seen. Good story, good cinematography. I give it a large bag!

Mom is looking forward to meeting some of the MRBA in Crystal Springs this weekend at the Fall Show. Should be interesting. She is fully expecting I will get a scolding for not having let her know I would be out of pocket Monday night. Lil sis is gleefully awating the comments about me being my age but still in trouble for not checking in.

Oh well...at least I got the Senior Citizens discount at the movie!

TTFN!

3 comments:

Jen said...

coop, you should have been blogging long before now! I laughed so hard at this post. Hilarious stuff!

And I know what you mean. I am very close to my mom. We text between shows a lot & GOD forbid I go somewhere & not watch it. She always knows where I am,who I am with, etc... I dont mind mostly but sometimes I just may want to be a FREE 30 year old.. Guess it ain't going away huh!?

Mrs.H said...

How did a 49 year old manage a Sr. discount? Girl, when you fudge on your age, you go DOWN not UP!!!!!

Jen said...

http://www.thecutestblogontheblock.com/background.php?id=481

I found you a template for your blog! heh! :)

I ran accross it & had to come tell you about it.