Friday, October 17, 2008

Night Visitor



When I first moved to this little house in the country, I adopted an outdoor stray cat, which meant I was leaving food outside, while continuing to feed my kids indoors.
One night, I heard a commotion on the side porch and heard what sounded like the plate falling from the table I had been feeding Jewel (the stray) on. Sure enough, I went out the back door and saw a young possum coming around the corner headed to the back porch. I watched him proceed to climb up my fishing rod (he was fairly small) on to a table. I had just cleaned the litter box earlier and the double bagged doody was sitting on that table to be later taken to the garbage. The little booger started fondling that bag and I thought Oh no you don't! I'm not going to be cleaning up the mess you'll make when you tear this bag open! So I walked on out to the table. Now, keep in mind that possums don't have great vision. The little one didn't even see me coming. He had a hold on the bag and I reached over and grabbed the handles and pulled. After a brief game of tug-of-war with this little possum, he finally looked up and saw me. You've never seen how fast a possum can run when they want to! He flew off that porch in a flash and I took the doody bag on out to the garbage.



Well, anyway, it seems that the little possum has been thriving on the Purina Cat Chow I provide.














He looks quite healthy. Shiny coat and all. I ran him off three times last night and finally gave up.




Oh well, all God's creatures gotta eat, right?


4 comments:

Jen said...

nasty little animals.

Susan said...

That's a hoot. My dad has started calling his cat possum-breath. I didn't ask how he got that nickname, but I suspect they no longer have the possum problems they used to have!

tank said...

I'd rather have ten possums than one devilish armadillo. Dillos are so destructive.

clstigger said...

Coop if you will send me an email I will give you my cell #. I am hoping to make it down to CS in the morning. clstigger7@aol.com