Friday, January 30, 2009

Blame it on the Moon

Well, I tried to take a picture of the moon last night for my friend, Chase, who was having a tough day yesterday and wanted to blame it on a full moon.


The moon last night was a banana shaped sliver with a bright planet (I'm assuming Mars or Venus) just above and to the left.


I was driving home and kept seeing it and decided to dig my camera out of my purse and take a picture for Chase.

My camera has an option for "Scene", so I put it on that and slowed WAY down and took a shot. No good. It hesitates a LONG time to actually take the shot, then it processes it. The picture came out like you see here. I drove along a little further and came to a place where I could see it well, slowed WAY down and tried again.

Well, crap. Here I am on a dark road in the middle of nowhere Hinds County and am trying to make a dang picture of the freakin moon for someone I've only met once. But, doggonnit, he's special to me and I REALLY wanted to do this.
So, I kept rolling along, looking for an opportunity with no one on the road and a good view of the moon and finally came to a complete stop, rolled my window down and took a shot. The camera hesitated, finally clicked, then processed and I got this:



It was at this point I realized that, obviously, I cannot hold the camera still enough during the long hesitation and processing time with low light conditions. But what a cool shot! It's like some kind of giant ethereal birds or something.
Even though I was not successful in taking the picture that I had in mind, I still managed to get a shot I wanted to share.
So, Chase, little bro, this is for you. I wanted you to know you were on my mind last night, just as so many of my other MRBA friends were.
I love you all.

4 comments:

tank said...

I swear I can see a cat in every picture. The first one, just glowing eyes. The second, the outline of a face playing w/string. The third, a face looking up w/the rear end and back legs at the bottom.

Mrs.H said...

I've tried taking moon pics and had about as much success as you had! They do look really neat, though!

Jen said...

those are neat looking even though you didn't get the moon! I tried to get a moon pic back when he had that HUGE moon ( a couple of months ago) and it wouldn't take very well either. I didn't have a long enough lens.

Sweet of you to do this for Chase! :)

chas3r said...

thanks for thinking of me. it really means a lot!