Thursday, March 19, 2009

Memories of an Iris


I know I've mentioned how much I love my little place in the country. Right now, I am blessed by a tiny spot of brightness in the form of snow white iris in full bloom.








I cannot look at a white iris without thinking about my late husband, H. He loved to take pictures and one time, he took a closeup of a stark white iris and framed it and gave it to me as a gift. There was just something very simple and sweet about that little gift. He was very proud of the picture and it touched my heart that he wanted me to have it.



It's funny how little things will sometimes make me think of him. And miss him. He taught me so much in our short time (7 years) together. Besides being a great father to my child, he was the toughest, bravest, kindest man I've ever known. He's probably a huge part of the reason I have not had a successful relationship since. There will never be another H.




So, as I walked around this little clump of iris this morning and took pictures, I said a little prayer of thanks for the time I had with him.


And for the gift of the single white iris.




3 comments:

Mrs.H said...

What a great man he must have been.

I feel the same way about Mr. H. I don't think I could ever have a relationship with another human being that even approaches what I have with him.

dhcoop said...

He was a great man. I miss him.

Jen said...

that was a very sweet tribute.