Friday, February 20, 2009

What I see...

when I drive up to my house at night...













I love my little place in the country. People have asked me before if I am scared to be so far out in the country alone. Heck no. I love the solitude. And I REALLY love the trees.



My yard is full of massive cedars filled with spanish moss. There is a majesty to them that is hard to describe. They are so very old and I can't even imagine what they might have seen in their long lifetime.





There is also an incredibly beautiful crape myrtle that blooms pink in the summer. This time of year I can appreciate the beauty of it's bark and the interesting way it's limbs twist and turn.


Several years ago, I went on a vacation out to Oregon to visit a dear friend. During the course of a week with her, I got to experience both time on the ocean and time in the massive redwood forest. One day I was laying INSIDE a massive redwood looking up into the tree and came to a full realization of my soul. Given a choice of being around water or being around trees, I choose trees.






I belong in the trees.

2 comments:

Mrs.H said...

On our vacation this Christmas, we traveled through some very flat, very empty spaces. Give me trees, every time. And a cactus is NOT a tree, no matter how big!

AmyAnne said...

I belong in the trees too. I grew up in the Redwoods. So did my husband. He feels pulled to the ocean, I still feel pulled to the trees. I'll take any kind of forest, but in the forest is where I belong. Took me years to figure out why, here in Ventura County, land of sun and sea, I have never felt an ahhhh feeling. Seriously, it's the trees.

Looking at your beautiful trees gave me that feeling. Like there is a world in them that I could dream for days about being a part of.