Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Well, foot!

That's what my Mom says when she's disgusted.

"Well, foot!" Now, where that comes from, I have no idea, but it came to mind when I created this post and didn't want to title it "Well, sh!t!", or "Well, crap!"

I passed a field of daffodils the other day going to work and wished there was no one behind me so I could stop and take a picture. I decided to go that route again this morning in hopes that I could get the shot. Right before I came to the field, a car was coming up fast behind me. Darn it! I slowed as much as I could, rolled my window down, and got this picture.

Obviously, it's a bad picture, but you can get the general sense that this is a HUGE field of daffodils. I've already decided that I need to go by again and actually PARK on the side of the road to take some pics. It is really beautiful.

Now, back to the subject of expressions. My Mom is in the hospital right now and heavy on my mind, so I guess that's why I'm led to thinking about some of the expressions she uses. I've never heard my mother say a cuss word in all of my life. But, she DOES use exclamations from time to time that, I guess, are common amongst people of her generation.

"Well, foot!" - substitute as demonstrated above. Could mean Shit! or Crap!

"Well, I'll be John Brown!". Now, keep in mind, for YEARS I thought my Mom was saying "Well, I'll be jun brown". I had no IDEA what it meant, but I heard her say it a LOT. Along comes google and I looked into it. John Brown (May 9, 1800 – December 2, 1859) was an American abolitionist who advocated and practiced armed insurrection as a means to abolish all slavery. ...he was hanged for revolt and treason.

So, I guess the expression "Well I'll be John Brown" equates to "just hang me!"

I did google "Well, foot!" but didn't get any results. Perhaps she made that one up on her own...

Do you have any memories of expressions your parents use or used? Just curious.

Oh, and I WILL get a pic of that field before it's finished blooming. I MUST!

9 comments:

tank said...

My pawpaw always said "the douse". I don't know if that's spelled right or not but it means the same thing as "well, foot". He said that when I was born. He wanted a boy. I've known John Brown forever. And my favorite expression is "Well I'll just be".
Another I've always heard is "You thought like Lit" when you are wrong about something.
You do know what Lit thought, don't you?
She thought she farted but she s___.

JustJo said...

My favorite is "Well, Crapola" when I
really want to say "Oh, S**t!

Ann Onimous said...

It's still gorgeous, even a little blurry. It's nice to know spring is coming: means summer is right around the corner.

And I always say, "Oh, fudge!" Then I get hungry. Go figure.

Mrs.H said...

My grandmother always said "Foot!" My mother used the "S" word frequently!

Tank, I've heard "the deuce" before but I always imagined it spelled this way. Sometimes with a 'what' in front of it.

Susan said...

My grandma's front yard looked like that this weekend. I just love daffys.

And most of the expressions heard at my house aren't appropriate for family friendly. =)

black betty said...

i'm like susan. my mother and grandmother must have been sailors in previous lives!! LOL!!! it's especially funny to hear a 78 year old woman curse...very entertaining! :)

CluckyRN said...

Love the pic!!! We have areas of dafffodils like that around here. I LOVE it!

I remember my Daddy saying "Well, I'll be dipped in sh!t!" LOL!

Jen said...

there are tons and some of what have been said already but "cotton pickin" and I'll just be darned and I just went blank. I'll have to come back! haha

Unknown said...

My grandmother always said well foot