Sunday, February 15, 2009

HeARTS Against AIDS

I joke about how I shouldn't be allowed to go to silent auctions because I'm bound to come home with something I do NOT need. Case in point being a 4 foot tall metal flamingo that I got the last time. Scooter is a full grown cat so that should give you some perspective as to how big this sucker is. It was just one of those things that I HAD to have once I put my name on the bid form.



Well, last night, I went to the HeARTS Against Aids benefit and spied a Marshall Ramsey original cartoon in the silent auction.



Needless to say, there was no WAY I was walking out of there without bidding on it.



I placed my bid and circled the room and came back and saw that someone had outbid me. Well! That just won't do! So I upped the bid, went and got a drink and looked around some more and circled back in on the prize. There was quite a good turnout for the event.




I upped the bid again and asked someone for the time. There was an hour left. hmmm, well let me see, circle around and hover, but don't look too conspicuous about what you are after in case someone else is after it. In this case, CLEARLY someone else was after it because they kept OUTBIDDING me!! WHO IS THIS BEAST! I placed another bid and circled and looped back and THERE he is, upping my bid. mmmmm Do I know this person? Is he MRBA?? Does he DESERVE this original Marshall Ramsey print as much as I do??? I think NOT!


So, I bid again and hover and circle and take more pictures and bid on a cheese tray made from a flattened Grey Goose bottle.


I circled some more and when there was about 20 minutes left I saw the guy (handsome young man) go over and up the bid on the MR original. HOW DARE HE!?! It's MINE!!!! At this point, I would have probably paid a ridulous amount for the thing because I was so determined to have it.
I decided to take preemptive action. I walked over to the guy (by this time he had already seen that it was me he was bidding against) and just asked him "Should I know you? Are you MRBA?" He laughed and admitted to being a lurker, he knew exactly what I meant by "MRBA" but isn't in a position where he is able to post. He said he had posted a couple of times right after the blog was begun but I don't remember what name he said he used. I said "I'm dhcoop". He laughed again and literally bowed to me and said "Then I defer to you. I will not bid any more. You can have it"
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA It's now MINE! *doing the happy dance*

5 comments:

Jen said...

hahahaahhaa That is hilarious!!!!! :) I can't believe you won the darn thing. Bless his heart, maybe he will post now!! haha You are terrible.

Mrs.H said...

what a great story!

dhcoop said...

I was determined to have it!

tank said...

You did good. Was the lurker single?

CluckyRN said...

tank kills me trying to find a mate for her girl. LOL.

You know I'm hatin'...but I'm happy for you!