Thursday, February 26, 2009

HHSMbRAMUVPPMRD

When Big Sis first moved over to the United Arab Emirates, one of the first things she noticed was that when they referred to the head honcho of Dubai, they used his WHOLE title EVERY time they mentioned him in the news.


Newscaster: "His Highness, Shaikh Mohamad bin Rashid Al Maktoum, UAE Vice-President, Prime Minister and Ruler of Dubai had a meeting today with so-and-so. His Highness, Shaikh Mohamad bin Rashid Al Maktoum, UAE Vice-President, Prime Minister and Ruler of Dubai entertained guests this weekend. His Highness, Shaikh Mohamad bin Rashid Al Maktoum, UAE Vice-President, Prime Minister and Ruler of Dubai went to the horse race with his sons" etc...


You get the idea.


It kind of freaked her out a bit, because it was just so unusual to hear. I mean, even in our country, newscasters refer to the President as "President Obama" only at the beginning of a report. From then on, he is "Mr. Obama".


Here's the email that I had from Big Sis this morning when I got in:

Subject: Hope this picture comes through
"A friend(L) and I went into Dubai yesterday. We were leaving town and had been talking about His Highness, Shaikh Mohamad bin Rashid Al Maktoum, UAE Vice-President, Prime Minister and Ruler of Dubai. Suddenly, L screams!! "Oh, S#$%, HE is coming up beside us!!!!" And here comes His Highness, driving down the highway, right beside us!!!!!! I had my camera, (because there are a lot of camel babies around now) and started making pictures!!!! All I got was his vehicle!!! But note the license plate number!!!! When he is out and about, he has no body guards, no other support vehicles following or leading, he was in regular clothes!!! I REALLY hope one day, we will get to meet him. D and L's husband, R, were playing golf Saturday afternoon and R got a phone call. He told D that he HAD to take it!! He answered the phone, "Hello, your Highness" It was Shaikh Mohamad calling him about some equipment or something!!!!!!! So L's husband knows him!!! MAYBE one day we will get to meet him.

I got a few camel baby pictures, but I'll wait and try to get a few more before I send any of them.
Love,
me"


I got a BIG kick out of all of the exclamation points!!!!! LOL! Can you tell she was excited?!? I, too, hope she gets to meet him one day. But I hope she goes to the bathroom first, or she's liable to pee herself!


And I want to see the baby camels!!

3 comments:

AmyAnne said...

Baby camels. Ohhhhhh, I want to see too.

Jen said...

:) That is silly! (that they say all of that!) I always wondered, why did your big Sis decide to move over there? Or is this a temporary thing? just curious. you don't have to be specific or anything. I always find it interesting when someone lives in another country and the reason behind it. :) haha (nosy I guess)

I love the look of camels but just remember those babies grow up to be U.G.L.Y. much like mutts ;) hahhahahahaha

AmyAnne said...

I saw the baby camels!! I love camels for some odd reason. Thanks for showing me :-)