Saturday, April 18, 2009

What a treat!

Early this morning my BIL said "Look at that bluebird out there! I haven't seen a bluebird in a long time". Well, I see bluebirds regularly so I kind of wondered why he hadn't, but I headed into the kitchen to see. I had my camera, because I don't have a good pic of a bluebird yet.


By the time I got in there, it was gone. I didn't think any more about it. Early this afternoon, lil sis says "oh I see the bluebird! Come here! Hurry!" So, I grab my camera again and run in there. She's telling me which tree it's in and I'm trying to see it, and finally do. I'm looking at it and I told her "I don't think that's a bluebird". Then it flew off and I didn't get a really good look, but the more I thought about it, it just COULDN'T be a bluebird. They don't normally go to bird feeders since they are primarily insectivorous, although they really are omnivorous, meaning they'll eat insects OR seeds, but primarly insects.


I kept peeking out the back door, just in case it came back, and finally, I looked out and there it was! Sitting on top of the shepherds hooks that hold her bird feeders. I hollered for lil sis and said "Come here, quick!". It flew on up onto a branch in a tree behind the feeders. There was no doubt in my mind at this point, it was an Indigo Bunting. I've only seen a few of these in my life. Absolutely spectacular!


Ok, so I know I couldn't zoom in as much as I'd like, but you get the general idea.

I'm hoping you can see the blue bird on the limb. The Indigo Bunting comes to Mississippi every year, migrating from South America. I called my Uncle H, who I consider to be my own personal bird expert, and he was looking at 11. Yes, ELEVEN of them in his yard at the moment I called. Of course, he also knows how to draw birds with his numerous bird feeders, including 7 thistle feeders. He said they'll come to a feeder, but they particularly like thistle seed thrown on the ground in short grass. He should know. He's been watching birds for years. I immediately called lil sis and told her that what Uncle H had said. He says the primary time for seeing the males (they are solid blue, the females are simple brown) come in to Mississippi in their prime up until about April 28. You might not ever even get the opportunity to see one of these fellas, but if you do, say a little thank you to our God who makes this possible. We are so blessed...
For more information on the indigo bunting, including their song, migratory habits, etc: http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Indigo_Bunting/id

5 comments:

dhcoop said...

I don't understand why my pics won't blow up!! I had to take them on a setting on my camera that I don't use much, but since we were inside the house taking pics thru the door, I couldn't use the flash. CRAP! But, hopefully, you can see the BLUE spot on the branch.

CluckyRN said...

Coop, I can see him just fine. Glad to see this post, since I thought I had been seeing bluebirds on steroids..LOL!! Will try to get pics of the ones at work too.

AmyAnne said...

Hey, I can totally see the very bright blue bird perched there.

OMG so beautiful. Thanks for taking the time to share this!

I love birds. I have got to learn how to attract them better.

Mrs.H said...

I'm so jealous!!
Check to see if, on your camera, the setting for image quality is set for best or economy. Best uses more memory (bigger file), economy uses less (smaller file) so you can take more pics.

Jen said...

awesome! i am glad you posted this because I saw some at my hubby's camp last weekend. It was such a bright BRILLIANT blue.

I asked hubby if he saw it and he didn't. I told him it looked like something you would buy in a pet shop, it was just BEAUTIFUL!