Sunday, June 14, 2009

Here we go round the Mulberry bush!!!

Have you ever had one??


I have memories of climbing the mulberry tree out by my Grandmother Reynolds' house. I don't remember being stained by the berries like I was today when I picked some to take to my Mom in the hospital. She was so surprised. She said it had been years since she had a mulberry.


You don't see many of them these days. I'm not quite sure why. Maybe people consider them worthless trees and cut them down? They aren't ugly trees. Nice, big green leaves. I can't say I noticed when it bloomed, so the bloom must not be very showy, but it obviously had to bloom or there wouldn't be fruit as there is now.

It looks a lot like a blackberry or dewberry, but is much sweeter. The fact that it grows on a tree is what facinates me.


My Mom told me they used to paint their fingernails with mulberries. She did admit that it was hard to do without getting their fingers covered with the juice.


Ya think???

As I was picking them I got stained like you can't believe. Of course I was eating as I was trying to get pics, but still...




I'm just glad my friend has a mulberry bush (which is actually a small tree) so that I could give my Mom a little taste of nostalgia today.


Even though after picking a few, it looks like I'm leaving a crime scene...













So, have you ever had a mulberry? Just curious...

3 comments:

Stacey said...

Can't say I have! Wouldn't know one if I did see it!

Mrs.H said...

Sr. Mrs. H has one in her backyard. The girls love to climb it and when they do, they get purple feet!

AmyAnne said...

I have never had a Mulberry, but I have vague memories of singing a song about a Mulberry tree.

We used to tromp through the blackberry bushes that grow wild and crazy all over Northern California. Our faces, hands, and much to our delight, tongues were stained red all summer.
I miss those pokey vines.